I figured it sounds nice, so i'll go for it.
It took me about two days and a few trips out to the backyard for lilac blossoms. Luckily i have more than enough lilacs even after giving away better than half of what the new yard came with...
After picking, i soaked them in the sink. A few insects came spluttering up from the water, they went outside.
This is what 16 quarts of sorted lilac flowers looks like... they are in a 5 gallon stock pot.
My recipe is for a 5 gallon batch. I found a few online and i'm sort of taking from a few of them to come up with my own. Its for fun, so its just as much experiment as anything else.
I'm starting with 3 gallons of water to boil:
A watched pot never boils, so no peeking!
When it gets hot enough and hubby (who forgot to buy the sugar i sent him out for) gets back ...
The recipe i based this on calls for 12# of sugar. So i measured out 2 pounds and then just dumped in two whole 5# bags.
Will they all fit?
I added a cup of lemon juice to try and get a good acid balance. I will have to taste it to adjust it later.
Allow to cool for 24 hours
Add a "do not disturb" note
That's it for the next 24 hours...
After that, its the yeast and the other 2 gallons of water that needs to be boiled then cooled.
Sprout report for the replanted seeds:
Tomato, Empire Hybrid- 1
Tomato, Siberia- 2
Tomato, Black from Tula- 4
Cucumber, Summer Dance- 5
Cucumber, Alibi- 6
Summer Squash, Sundance- 5
Winter Squash, Long Island Cheese- 2
Winter Squash, Red Eye- 2
Acorn Squash, Carnival- 5
Melon, Hales Best- 2
Melon, Rocky Ford- 4
Watermelon, Pony Yellow- 5
Watermelon, Tom Watson- 3
Tomato, Yellow Pear- 5
Ornamental Eggplant- 4
Salsify, Sandwich Island Mamoth- 5
Half Bush Bean, Appaloosa- 1
and lo and behold... one of the Zsa Zsa peppers is shouldering up. I guess this is the way things go when a seed company names a plant variety after a diva. Apparently this pepper requires heat. Not "does better with" but must have.
Off to finish reading "Root Cellaring"