Wednesday, May 19, 2010
Very grateful for today's rain.
I'd have to look back and check for sure... but i think we had gone about 3 weeks without significant rain until last night.
The way i remember it is that its been more than 2 weeks since we got Molly and i have not had to walk in the rain to take her out for her potty break until this morning.
But the garden has been quite dry even though i had been trying to water it every other day. The carrots and parsnips got water every day. The dry weather makes it difficult for garden amendments to make their way into the soil, i could still see specks of the lime hubby spread out a few weekends ago.
I need to get the worm castings out of the worm bin. It is going to be a messy project to separate the Red Wigglers from the finished material. We have been sprinkling the liquid from the bin around in the garden, the bin produces about a pint of liquid every few days. I need to put it in a hose end sprayer and broadcast it on the garden, i bet it will make a big difference. I also can't wait to see how many worms i now have. I started with only one pound last winter. The selling companies like you to buy 2 pounds, but even the lowest prices are a bit on the ridiculous side and i wasn't worried if it started out slow. Considering how they consume kitchen scraps, i bet i have quite a few more than before.
I decided to try making Lilac Wine after reading about it in the comments of another blog i follow.
I have 13 cups of petals prepared so far. I only have 5 gallon carboys, so i really should make at least 4 gallons in it. This means a lot of petals. Good thing is that i have plenty of lilac flowers available for picking. Some are starting to go by, but some are just about right. Good thing is that plucking the petals is something i can do seated at the table.
I have most of the materials on hand, the rest will require a quick trip to the LHFS.
Off to pluck more petals...!