Friday, June 3, 2011

Awesome possum

So...   i had set the Havahart trap the other evening after startling a woodchuck who was not 50 feet from my garden.  I used half a banana and a mushy kiwi, diced up and served on a paper plate. I just knew i was going to catch something.
I didn't have time to check the trap the next morning,  but later that afternoon i remembered to go look during nap time. I could see that the trap had been sprung but i couldn't see inside too well- but i knew it wasn't woodchuck colored!


It was, of course, playing dead...or napping.  But it ate all the bait and the paper plate it was served on.

I called my oldest daughter out to see it and help me set it free.  She thought it was pretty cool.

We released it and watched it scamper/waddle away.


Other than that, not much else going on.  I'm noticing that many of my cabbage & broccoli seeds are not coming up- though i planted 3 or 4 in each station.  Its disappointing and yet another example of why i should start the seeds in flats next year.  It makes me want to head to the greenhouse again.  At least i don't want big gaps.  There's a 90% chance of my doing just that today.

I need to get the corn planted. "Knee high by the 4th of July" is the adage and if i don't get to it soon, it will only be ankle high by then.

I've hardened-off the eggplant and peppers.  They will go in when i find a block of time. I should be able to do this on Saturday.

No comments: